Sign up for DVC texting emails
If you haven’t completed the DVC volunteer form yet, please do that here. Be sure to check “Text banking” as one of your volunteer interests, and we’ll keep you up to date as we learn of new text banking campaigns.
The basics of text banking
- There are many organizations that run text banking campaigns you can join from home. Organizations include the DNC, MoveOn, Indivisible, and others.
- When you sign up with one of these organizations, they’ll train you to use a specific texting application. Applications are web-based apps like Spoke, ThruText, and TextOut.
- You won’t be texting from your mobile phone; instead, you’ll use an app on your laptop or desktop computer to more easily send and respond to texts. This also prevents people from seeing your personal phone number.
- Most organizations operate a Slack workspace that you’ll join. Slack is a communications app that allows you to contact a moderator or trainer for questions that may come up while you’re texting. When an organization sets up a space in Slack for its members to work in together, that’s called a workspace. Each organization will have its own workspace.
- The exact details of how each organization uses Slack will be slightly different. As an example, this guide to using Slack with Open Progress shows one way of using Slack as part of your text banking.
- For more tips on texting, review these Best Practices for guidance that applies to any texting campaign.
Below are links to some of the organizations that run text banking campaigns for Democratic candidates. With the 2020 election complete, they may or may not have active texting campaigns at this time. Click any logo to visit the organization’s website for more information about current activities. We’ve listed which texting application each organization uses for the benefit of volunteers who are already familiar with one or more apps and wish to work with a specific app.
If you have never text banked before and aren’t sure where to start, we’ve found that Movement Labs (formerly called Resistance Labs) to be one of the most active and best-supported texting organizations.
When you sign up as a DVC text banker here, you’ll receive important updates about texting organizations and campaigns from the DVC. If you have questions or need help, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.