Write to voters
Current writing campaigns
Write postcards to flip the Virginia House of Delegates and hold the Democratic majority in the Virginia State Senate, support Democrats in special elections and register new Democratic voters in swing states and districts. You can also write to encourage people to vote in the Ohio November 7 election, where there is an the initiative to establish reproductive freedom on the ballot.
Volunteers can supply you with postcards, addresses, and scripts/instructions. You will supply your own postcard stamps.
To pick up supplies in the Santa Clara County area:
- Mountain View: fill out this form for instructions on picking up your supplies.
- San Jose (Willow Glen area) or Los Altos Hills: contact Deb at email@example.com for information and directions. Please specify in your email where you want to pick up.
If you’re out of area or have your own supplies:
These organizations can get you addresses and scripts for various postcard and letter writing campaigns:
- Activate America writes on different issues to help elect Democrats
- Reclaim Our Vote offers nonpartisan GOTV postcarding to voters of color, particularly in swing states
- Postcards 4 VA is writing for Virginia state legislative elections
- Field Team 6 has addresses, scripts and code label templates to register new likely Democrats in key states
- Swing Left Peninsula frequently offers letter writing through Vote Forward
Write with other volunteers
Want to write in the company of others? In person and online (Zoom) group events for writers may be available. These events are more frequent as we get closer to Election Day.
Sign up to stay in the know!
As a DVC subscriber, you’ll receive emails with postcard and letter writing opportunities so you’ll always know when you have a chance to make a difference. To subscribe:
- Go to our volunteer form here
- Fill in your email, name, phone, and zip code
- Click Sign Up
We’ll keep you informed about campaigns you can write for and how to get started.
Why write to voters?
Writing letters and postcards provides a personal touch to voter outreach, and it’s a fun group activity. We worked on a four-pronged strategy to keep Congress Blue in 2022 by electing Democrats across the ballot:
- In 2022 we registered likely new Democratic voters (in partnership with Field Team 6) in flippable congressional districts in Arizona, California, Florida, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Georgia, Nevada and Wisconsin. Voter registration campaigns target “the rising American electorate,” including underrepresented groups like Black communities in the Deep South and young voters.
- We protected vulnerable California, Nevada, Arizona, Georgia and Pennsylvania Democrats by informing voters of the legislative achievements of their representatives.
- We encouraged Democrats in swing states and districts to enroll in vote-by-mail, a proven method to increase voter turnout.
- We wrote letters (with Vote Forward) to increase voter participation of historically underrepresented communities.